University Library

Assistance for Library Users with a disability and/or medical condition

Further information

askUWA: answers online anytime

  Campus card holders

  Members of the public

Access to buildings

For information regarding access assistance contact: 

Disability Officers

Disability Liaison Librarians

The University has services and facilities to assist clients with disabilities and medical conditions in the effective use of its libraries and information services.

These services are provided jointly by Student Services' UniAccess Office, Business Information & Technology Services and the University Library.

  1. UniAccess: UWA's Disability Office
  2. Library access and tours
  3. Disability Support Worker
  4. Printing, photocopying and scanning
  5. Borrowing and returning items
  6. Other WA university libraries
  7. Resource Rooms

UniAccess: UWA's Disability Office

The University has Disability Officers who can provide assistance to any enrolled student or staff who wishes to disclose a disability or a chronic medical condition. The Disability Officers are:

You can find the UniAccess Disability Officers at Student Services on the first floor of the Social Sciences Building, South Wing. Don't hesitate to drop in and find out what types of support can be provided. The services listed below are only some of those that are provided to readers with disabilities and medical conditions.

You will need to register with UniAccess to be eligible for some special services; your eligibility will be shown on your Campus Card.

Back to top

Library access and tours

You can get full information on access to library buildings and within the libraries. Personal tours of our libraries to meet individual needs can be arranged through the Disability Officers.

Back to top

Disability Support Worker

The Disability Support Worker is available for consultation in the Resource Rooms in the Reid Library and the Barry J Marshall Library and can help with activities such as collecting books from shelves and using specialised equipment. The Disability Support Worker is available by appointment during semester at any of the subject libraries.

If you are experiencing difficulties accessing library resources in their current format contact UniAccess.

Back to top

Printing, photocopying and scanning

Back to top

Borrowing and returning items

If it is difficult for you to come to our campus libraries, we can send items to you. To register for this service email the Disability Support Worker.

As long as an item is not overdue or required by another borrower, it may be renewed by accessing your record or by contacting the University Library by telephone.

High Demand Collection items may be renewed an unlimited number of times.  Main collection items may be renewed three times.

An overdue item may be renewed by contacting the Library by telephone.

Books can be returned to any subject library and all libraries have after hours return chutes.

Back to top

Other WA university libraries

All UWA staff and students have reciprocal borrowing privileges at Curtin University, Edith Cowan University and Murdoch University.

To use the specialist services, facilities and equipment at one of these libraries your Campus Card must be endorsed by UniAccess and you should have a signed letter of introduction from the UWA Disability Officers at UniAccess.

Back to top

Resource Rooms

There are two Resource Rooms; one in the Reid Library and one in the Barry J Marshall Library. The Reid Library's Dickinson Resource Room is located in the southwest corner on the ground floor of the Reid Library Building; the Barry J Marshall Resource Room is located on the western side of the first floor of the Barry J Marshall Library.

The rooms contain specialised study equipment and ergonomic furniture and are available for use during normal opening hours.


Dickinson Resource RoomBarry J Marshall Resource Room

Adjustable desks
SPSS software
Ergonomic chairs
Yes Yes
Yes Yes
Jaws software
Magnifier/ZoomText software
A rest area with firm but comfy lounges
Yes Yes

Students who have specific needs for equipment in the Library Resource Rooms should make an appointment with a Disability Officer to discuss their needs. Please ring (+61 8) 6488 2423 to make an appointment.

Back to top