University Library

Music limits

Further Information

Copying allowances


Email the Copyright Officer

There are limitations on the copying, downloading and broadcasting of music permissible under the licence.

A number of activities are prohibited.

  1. Downloading, reproducing or communicating copyright music via the internet
  2. Photocopying print music
  3. Associated copyright material
  4. Broadcasting of music
  5. Performances in public
  6. Performing arts limitations
  7. Music outside the societies' repertoire
  8. Student guild functions and facilities
  9. Other uses of music

Downloading, reproducing or communicating copyright music via the Internet

UWA students or staff are not permitted to:

  • reproduce, download or convey to any other parties, all or part of any copyright musical work via the Internet or email systems
  • reproduce, communicate, transmit or perform any infringing copy of a copyright sound recording (for example, a sound recording that has been obtained or downloaded illegitimately, and is therefore itself in breach of copyright)
  • make any unauthorised recordings or video recordings of performances contrary to the Copyright Act
  • make reproductions of copyright musical works for the sole or dominant purpose of delivering these reproductions either via the intranet or to the public via the Internet; or make reproductions available to a student or third party for such a prohibited use.

Back to top

Photocopying print music

This licence does not cover photocopying print music. Limited reproduction of print music may be done under our print and graphic licence agreement.

Back to top

Associated copyright material

This agreement does not allow you to reproduce any cinematograph film, or any literary, dramatic or artistic work associated with a musical work or sound recording. This includes lyrics and video clips of songs. Consult the pages relating to the Audio visual licence agreement if you require the use of material from broadcast television and radio.

Back to top

Broadcasting of music

The licence does not grant staff or students the right to broadcast any musical work or sound recording.

Back to top

Performances in public

This agreement does not include playing or performing in public, music or sound recordings at any event or occasion where a fee for entry is charged; or where the University's premises have been made available for hire or otherwise to a third party (including a student group) other than for the educational purpose of the University.

Back to top

Performing arts limitations

Other limitations apply to the performance or video recording of the musical elements contained in drama, dance, music theatre and choral works. This agreement does not licence performances or the making of video recordings of performances of the following:

  • a choral work of more than 20 minutes duration or excerpts of that choral work
  • a musical work or excerpts of that work performed in a dramatic context
  • a grand right work or excerpts of that work (this includes any opera, operetta, musical play, ballet, review or pantomime to the extent that it consists of words and music written expressly for it)

Back to top

Music outside the societies' repertoire

This is not a blanket licence that covers all music and sound recordings. It only covers those works owned or controlled by the society members (AMCOS, APRA, ARIA and PPCA) or for which they have the authority to grant a licence. Fortunately the list of works covered by the societies is very broad, but you may need to check the lists to make sure.

Back to top

Student guild functions and facilities

The student guild is not covered by this licence. It is responsible for its own arrangements with APRA and the PPCA to cover the playing or performance of music at Guild facilities on campus.

Back to top

Other uses of music

Some potential uses of copyright music works within the University will not be covered by the provisions of the collective licence, for example, the playing of television monitors in public areas, music played in commercial premises or at University events where an entry fee is charged.

In such cases it will probably be necessary to obtain a specific casual licence from the appropriate music collecting society.

If you are not sure as to whether any proposed use of copyright music (that is, copying, conveying, communicating, broadcasting, performing, reproducing, downloading or forwarding) is covered by the collective music licence contact the Copyright Officer for further information.

Back to top