University Library


This information will help you to find theses, obtain copies and submit your thesis to the UWA Research Repository.

  1. How to find theses
  2. Submitting your thesis to the UWA Research Repository

How to find theses

Effective from 16 May 2016, the UWA Library will cease collecting the print copies of UWA Master's and PhD theses. The only official copy of the thesis will be the electronic/digital version which can be accessed via the UWA Research Repository.

UWA digital theses

UWA digital theses stored in the UWA Research Repository can be located by searching the UWA Research Repository and also OneSearch.

Alternatively, browse the UWA Theses collection from the Repository. Select Search then Theses in the left hand side menu. Choose Advanced search options and, in the Type field, select Doctoral or Master's

UWA printed theses

Print copies of UWA Master's and PhD theses (submitted prior to mid-2016), along with History honours theses, are held in Store and can be located by searching OneSearch.

UWA staff and students; reciprocal borrowers; registered borrowers: You may make a request for the thesis to be retrieved from the Store by signing in to OneSearch, searching for the item and using the Request options.

Members of the public: You may make a request for the thesis using the Store Request form here.

You will be notified when the thesis is available, and you may usually photocopy/scan pages or sections in person in Reid Library. Please note that some theses are considered too fragile to scan, and some theses are restricted and may not be viewed. Library staff will contact you in these circumstances to discuss access options.

Other than for the discipline of History, we do not collect honours theses. For access to all other UWA honours theses, please contact the relevant Faculty/School.

Copy entire theses on request
Library staff can scan theses from our collection for a fee:

  • $137.50 (GST inclusive)
  • $130 for overseas (no GST)

Theses are supplied in PDF via link to a secure document store.

Payment must be by credit card. You will be contacted with details of the online payment form once availability of the thesis has been confirmed.
To make a request please complete a Thesis Request form:

Back to top

Non-UWA theses

Non-UWA theses can be located by searching the following online databases:

Theses submitted to or held in universities in Australia and New Zealand. Use 'Format' box to limit your search to theses only.
ProQuest Dissertations and Theses (PQDT)
Includes 2.7 million searchable citations to dissertations and theses from around the world.
Electronic Thesis Online Service (EThOS)
A British Library service which makes most British theses freely available as electronic downloads. Strict copyright conditions mean that you must register personally to be able to download a thesis. More information is available from the EThOS FAQs page.
Networked Digital Library of Theses & Dissertations (NDLTD)
The NDLTD is an international organisation dedicated to promoting the adoption, creation, use, dissemination, and preservation of electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs). The NDLTD Catalog contains more than one million records of electronic theses and dissertations. For students and researchers, the Union Catalog makes individual collections of NDLTD member institutions and consortia appear as one seamless digital library of ETDs.

UWA staff and postgraduate students can request a copy of a non-UWA thesis through Get It if the full-text is not available through the resources listed above.

Back to top

Submitting your thesis to the UWA Research Repository

Any thesis which meets the definition of "thesis by research" can be submitted to the UWA Research Repository. This includes theses written for the Doctor of Philosophy and some master's by research programs. The only condition is that the thesis must have already met all the conditions for Award.

Students who commenced their candidature after March 2003 are required to lodge their thesis with the Repository, and will have been advised of this requirement by the Graduate Research School.

Back to top