Fines and charges at the University Library are determined by the University Librarian.
Fines are a way of ensuring fair and equitable access to Library resources. Students who fail to return an item by the due date accrue fines as follows:
|High Demand Collection items||$3 per item per overdue hour or part thereof (to a maximum of $60 per item) For example, a High Demand item due at 2pm will accrue $3 if returned or renewed at 2.30pm. If returned or renewed at 3.30pm, $6 will accrue.|
|Requested items||$3 per item per overdue day (to a maximum of $60 per item)|
|*Main collection books||$99 if overdue by 31 days|
|*Audio Visual items||$99 if overdue by 31 days|
|*Locker keys||$99 if overdue by 31 days|
|*Postgrad Study area keys ||$50 if overdue by 31 days|
|*Locker swipe cards||$25 if overdue by 31 days|
*Fines will be waived once items are returned. In certain circumstances we will accept a replacement for a billed item in lieu of payment. If an item is paid for and subsequently returned, please see library staff and a refund will be organized. This does not include High Demand fines or overdue fines on requested items.
Please also note that fines accrue from year to year.
- have an overdue item, your account will be suspended from borrowing until the item is returned
- accumulate $24 or more in fines, your account will be suspended from borrowing until you pay the amount owing in full. Please note that if you owe less than $24, fines are not payable
- accumulate $24 or more in fines, your debt will be recorded as an Administrative Encumbrance on your student record, which will prevent access to examination results, transcripts, graduation and re-enrolment
- damage or permit an item to be damaged, you will be invoiced for costs of repair or replacement
- are a reciprocal borrower with unpaid debts, you will be suspended from borrowing at your home institution library
- pay a fine, it may take 24 hours for the Administrative Encumbrance to be removed from your student record
If you wish to dispute a fine, please send us an email. Please provide full details of the reason(s) why you consider you should not have to pay the fine.
Payment options are listed below. If you are having trouble paying a fine, we can arrange a payment plan. Please send us an email.
Following payment your borrowing privileges will be restored immediately. There are several ways you can arrange payment:
|1. Online||This option is available to Pheme account holders only, paying with Visa or MasterCard.|
|2. In Person using EFTPOS or by cheque|
To pay in person by EFTPOS or cheque, go to any UWA library building with an EFTPOS terminal. We accept debit card, Visa and MasterCard, but not cash. You can pay up to 15 minutes before closing time. Following payment your borrowing privileges will be restored immediately.
EFTPOS facilities are located in the following libraries:
|3. By telephone|
To pay over the phone with Visa or MasterCard, contact one of the following libraries up to 15 minutes before closing time:
|4. By mail|
Post your cheque made payable to the 'University of Western Australia' to: