University Library

Study zones

Further Information

Contact us

IT Help

Study spaces in UWA Subject Libraries

Zone Description & Locations
Collaborative study zone sign

Collaborative zones are for group work and collaboration. They are usually located in high traffic areas, with PCs, printing and help from staff available. Mobile phones can be used in these zones as long as you do not disturb others.

Quiet study zone sign

Quiet study zones are designed for individual study. You may use electronic devices and whisper. Please silence your mobile phone in these zones.

Silent study zone sign

Silent study zones are designed for silent and serious individual study. Any noise in these areas is likely to disturb others, so please be considerate.

Flexible Study

The University has a wireless network which operates in some cafes, campus grounds, tutorial rooms and at residential halls. Explore these to find many more places to study and access Library and IT services.

Back to top

Study spaces Code of Behaviour

Please help us to maintain an environment in which you and other students can learn and study by keeping the following points in mind:

  • Choose the right zone to meet your needs.
  • Remember that your subject library is primarily a place to study. Make sure that you are not disturbing other people by talking loudly.
  • Litter is unpleasant, so respect the library and other people by clearing away your rubbish and recycling waste where possible.
  • Don't be a desk or couch hog – study and PC space is in very high demand. If you are leaving for an extended break, please take your belongings with you so that someone else can use the study space or PC. Your belongings are not secure if you leave them.
  • Treat fellow library users and library staff with courtesy, respect and consideration at all times.

If you are not behaving in an appropriate manner, we may ask you to leave the library. You may also be liable to further action under the University's disciplinary procedures.

Back to top

Food and Drink in the University Library

Library users will appreciate the need to keep the library clean and comfortable for others.  As such, only covered drinks and some food are permitted in the libraries, and all rubbish should be placed in bins provided.

Foods which smell strongly or result in a mess are permitted only in the cafes and café terraces in Reid Library and Barry J Marshall Library, and the Student Lounge area in the J. Robin Warren Library.

You will be asked to relocate from all other Library areas if you are consuming any such food. 

You may also be asked to relocate from a Library Silent study zone if the food you are consuming is creating noise.

Please note:

  • No food or drink will be permitted in the Library’s Special Collections.
  • Alcohol is not permitted in any areas of the Libraries (including the cafes and café terraces).

General and recycling bins can be found in all libraries and cleaning products are available from library staff if required.

Back to top

Tips for dealing with noise in study spaces

  • Choose the right zone to meet your needs.
  • Within the guidelines of the accepted behaviour in each zone, feel free to respectfully let someone know if they are disturbing you. They may be unaware of this.
  • Wear noise cancelling headphones.
  • Make use of our late night access at busy times of semester.
  • If a persistent noise issue is disturbing your study, please alert a library staff member or security guard.

Back to top

SMS PAM (Please Assist Me)

Library users are able to contact Library staff without leaving their study space with the PAM (Please Assist Me) SMS Service. This can be used to report issues with noise, food and drink or other facilities to library staff.


Back to top