This Code of Practice supplements the UWA IT Regulations and the UWA Offensive Electronic Material Policy.
General disclaimer of liability
By accessing its IT services you accept and agree that the University of Western Australia Library provides IT services with reasonable care and skill. However, insofar as the Law permits, the University makes or implies no warranty as to the quality, continuity, life or wear of any materials or services supplied, or that they will be suitable for any particular purpose or for use under any specific conditions. Nor does the University and its staff accept any responsibility for the use which you make of advice or information which they give, of opinions which they express, or of materials, services, certificates or documents which they supply.
Conditions of use of the Library website
The Library endeavours to ensure that information provided on its website, including links to other systems, are accurate and up to date. The Library undertakes to correct mistakes that are brought to its attention as soon as possible, but cannot make any guarantees about the accuracy or quality of information.
Access to Library computers
The use of Library computers is restricted to authorised users of the Library. Authorised users of the Library are defined in the Library rules as:
- Students enrolled at the University for the current semester
- Members of the University staff
- Members of the University Senate
- Other persons or members of bodies approved by the University Librarian
- Students and staff of Murdoch University, Curtin University of Technology and Edith Cowan University who are endorsed by the Librarian of these institutions.
Users of these computers shall be required to produce their UWA campus card when requested by Library staff.
Back to top
Conditions of use of Library computers
- Users of Library computers shall not access, display or print material which could reasonably cause offence to other Library users or is prohibited by law.
- Access to resources on the Internet through Library facilities is provided on the understanding that users are conducting University related duties or studies.
- Courtesy and commonsense dictate that users should not monopolise Library computers in busy periods.
- Users must not use more than one Library computer at a time unless authorised by the University Librarian.
- When accessing networks outside the University, users must abide by the policies of those systems.
- Users shall not infringe any copyright or licence agreements. Users should note that material obtained from the Internet may also be protected by copyright laws.
- The connection of computing equipment to, or the installation, copying, running or removal of software on Library computers is forbidden except by permission of the University Librarian.
- Users shall not attempt to use Library computers for any purpose other than the options provided on the system.
- Users shall not attempt to tamper with any facility in any way, physically or via electronic means which might alter or impede its use by others.
- Users who enter into financial transactions while using Library computers do so at their own risk and cost. Due to the open nature of the internet, we strongly advise you against placing your credit card details onto internet systems.
- No liquids of any description shall be placed on or near Library computers.
Back to top
The University Library reserves the right to:
Back to top
- collect payment for the use of facilities
- deny users access to Library computers if any of these conditions are breached
- provide various levels of access for clients
- retain any rights, including possible copyright, for the information contained on the Library website
- deny responsibility for the contents of any off site files accessed from these computers
- deny responsibility for any damage which may result from the use of information accessed through the use of this system or from other systems accessed through links provided by this system
- disclaim all warranties included in any file or material accessed through the use of this system or through the use of other systems accessed through links provided by this system.